In this blog, we explore how to create Five different Caffeine treatments for hair growth, it includes hair rinses, hair oils and hair masks. Coffee really is an unsung hair hero in your kitchen cabinet.
Lots of men in particular may not know that caffeine treatments are extremely useful if they’ve started experiencing hair loss.
In this 2012 study, researchers found that caffeine can even help to suppress male pattern baldness in the laboratory environment.
And a number of scientific studies also highlight that when caffeine is applied directly to the scalp it can help stimulate hair growth.
Caffeine helps to stimulate the blood vessels beneath the scalp,
- encourage healthy hair growth,
- slow down hair loss and can also help to
- keep hair shiny and soft.
So these homemade caffeine oils are definitely worth trying out.
For some of these coffee treatments you can just make once, keep it in your fridge or in a cool dark place. For one of them, you can keep it in your cupboard for up to 5 months, it’s so hassle free and the ingredients are all natural.
Also have no fear - the smell of coffee won’t linger in your hair.
You’re going to want to bear in mind:
- Since caffeine applied to the scalp or skin can be absorbed into the bloodstream, be careful not to apply the formula close to bedtime.
- If you’re blonde or have light brown hair, do be aware that these coffee treatments might darken your hair colour, so just be aware of that
- And finally for all of the caffeine oils discussed please do a patch test.
Apply a small amount to your skin, - leave it for 24 hours - if you develop a rash, or if it feels sensitive then do not do this caffeine oil treatment, at all!
The very first coffee treatment is super easy if the only thing you’ve got in your house right now is coffee and water.
So you put three teaspoons of coffee powder into warm water. I’m using about half a litre. It’s best to use good quality coffee. It’s better for your hair
You can use instant coffee, but just remember to use the powder, if you have coffee granules you have to crush them into a powder.
So then get a funnel, and pour it into a spray bottle or an applicator bottle. So that’s it - you can use this coffee treatment straight away.
It can be used as a rinse, you can wash your hair with it by adding it to your shampoo- you can also leave it in all night - if you don’t think it’s going to keep you awake.
You can wash the coffee out the following day, you can keep it in the fridge, and use it however many times per week that you need to,
Coffee & Yoghurt Mask
So the second Coffee Treatment is a hair mask and it only needs three ingredients:
- Coconut Oil
- Ground Coffee
- Take two tablespoons of coffee powder to a clean bowl.
- Add two tablespoons of coconut powder.
- Mix thoroughly until you get a gorgeous thick paste.
- Three tablespoons of natural yoghurt to the mixture.
- Mix, mix, mix, into a lovely thick paste.
To apply this hair mask, get some in your hand and smooth from root to tip, all over. Get ashower cap and leave it for one hour
Then just shampoo out with a mild shampoo, when you’re buying any shampoo make sure it’s Paraben and Sulphate free - because it’s much much better for your hair.
Use this hair mask treatment around three times per week. It really helps to keep hair healthy and shiny and definitely speeds up hair growth.
Coffee and Honey Mask
Another really super simple coffee hair mask I’m gonna show you also just needs three ingredients:
- Olive Oil
- Coffee powder
Take 1 tablespoon of honey.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil each and
- add 2 teaspoons of coffee powder to them.
- Combine well to make a smooth paste.
- Apply to your hair and leave it on for about 20 minutes to an hour.
- Rinse off as usual.
Caffeine and Olive Oil for Hair Growth
To make our fourth Coffee hair treatment we’re gonna be using Coffee powder and Olive Oil for Hair growth -
You’re gonna need:
- ½ a cup of olive oil
- Glass jar with a lid - I’ve used an old coffee jar
- A couple of drops of Vitamin E oil
- ¼ of a cup of dark coffee
- Applicator bottle
- Mix the coffee straight in with the olive oil.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for around 2 hours
- Once it’s cooled down add the Vitamin E complex
- Then just shut the lid and leave it overnight.
- Sieve, then pour it into the applicator bottle.
- You can apply this as often as every single day.
Apply quite a few hours before bed, because as mentioned, it could go into your bloodstream - keeping you awake, which is what you do not need.
Massage it into the scalp, massage, together with the caffeine and olive oil helps to wake up the blood vessels.
Caffeine increases blood circulation in the scalp and stimulates the roots of the hair helps them grow faster by suppressing the effect of DHT, the phytosterols in the oil helps to promote moisture retention and absorption.
So applying the oil directly to the scalp, is the best way to invigorate the hair follicles,
A paper that was published recently said that you’d need to drink 60 or so cups of coffee per day to have any kind of difference to your hair - by which time you’d have a heart attack - so don’t do that.
Because this caffeine treatment has olive oil in it it’s obviously heavier, it does make your hair a bit greasy looking. So wash it out the following day.
Coffee and Coconut Oil
For this mask you’ll need
- Green or roasted whole coffee beans (3 ounces)
- Coconut oil (3 cups)
- Pour the coconut oil into a small glass jar with a lid
- Add the 3 ounces of coffee beans
- Cover the beans, mix well and over a slow heat, let the oil simmer for 5-6 hours
- Footage of the mixture simmering
- Be sure to stir the mixture every half hour or so.
- Make sure you're checking it regularly to make sure the oil and beans aren’t burning.
- When the mixture is cooked, take it off the stove and leave it to cool.
- Once cooled, use a paper coffee filter to strain the oil and remove the beans
- Pour the oil into a jar.
This jar will keep for a good 5 months, but keep it in a cool, dark place.
Apply the oil directly to the scalp, either on its own or combined with shampoo and leave. Maybe for a couple of hours.
Some people like to do a home workout or go for a run to really get the blood pumping and to boost circulation, and this gets blood pumping to the scalp.
Rinse thoroughly with plenty of lukewarm-ish water.
It’s best to avoid hot water on your hair, sometimes it’s a bit damaging.
These coffee treatments are not gonna work overnight - You’ve got to be consistent and patient - give yourself a good couple of months of regular usage to really start to notice the difference.
It is important to remember with genetic hair loss - the bit that’s being influenced is right down at the bottom of the hair follicle, it’s called the hair bulb so anything applied at the surface has to be able to get down to the hair bulb and it has to sit there. It’s not a case of breaking through the skin and being carried around in the blood, as that just transports the caffeine away.
And so in the lab environment, hair is put in a dish and caffeine is next to the hair bulb for a number of days. There are no studies to confirm that outside of the lab environment, caffeine can get to the hair bulb, but from anecdotal experience has found that hair has grown faster, looks really shiny, and is softer.
There is also some consensus that regularly massaging your scalp helps to stimulate the blood vessels, because healthy circulation at the scalp helps to ensure that all the nutrients are getting to the scalp, keeping everything nourished and healthy and you’ve got to lead a healthy balanced diet.
You need to make sure you’re eating the right foods, doing exercise which enhances your circulation. Reducing stress, as Cortisol, the stress hormone can move hair into the shedding phase, you’ve really got to look after yourself to get the most of these topical treatments.
As every It Really Works Vitamins are also here for you! Our 22 ingredients help to block DHT, stimulate normal healthy hair growth