What Are Those White Bulbs at the ends of your hair? Every now and then if you’ve ever noticed one or two of your hairs, on your pillow, or on your clothes you might have spotted a little white bulb at the end of the hair Noticing hair strands falling with white bulbs on the hair ends is not an indication that you’re permanently losing your hair.
A hair that has a white bulb at the end of it is called a Club Hair. The white bulb is made of keratin (protein) and this bulb is responsible for rooting the hair in the follicle until it sheds and the hair growth cycle re-starts. In this way, the white bulb - is an indication that your hair is in the Telogen phase of growth.
Ok so what’s the Telogen Phase?
Let’s Discuss The Hair Growth Cycle: Hair growth is in four phases:
- Anagen – This lasts for 2 to 6 years and is an active phase. Cells divide rapidly in the hair root and this determines the length of the hair. Nearly 80% of hair at one time is in the Anagen phase.
- Catagen - This is a transitional phase that lasts 2 to 4 weeks. During this period, active hair growth stops, and there is a push from the papilla to the follicle.
- Telogen - This is the resting period.
- Beneath the scalp surface, new Anagen hairs are developing, and they push the Telogen hair from the follicle with a white bulb.
- Exogen/Early Anagen - In this stage the Telogen hair falls out, and Anagen hairs are newly formed through the follicle
- This is a regular phase, and it’s totally normal for 50-100 hairs to fall out every day,
A few other lifestyle factors can also cause hair breakage, such as:
Overexposure to the sun
Not getting enough protein or other nutrients into your diet.
Bleaching, dying or perming your hair.
Keeping your hair wet or in tight hairstyles for extended periods
Strengthening your hair is a must so that there is no untimely breakage. If you suspect you're losing more than 100 hairs each day, you could have a condition called Telogen Effluvium. “Effluvium” means “outflow,” . This is characterized by an excessive loss of hair.
Hair loss may be due to hormonal changes due to medication illnesses, pregnancy, sickness, or treatments. Nutritional deficiencies, emotional stress, or shock can also result in hair loss.
If you are losing hair and have white bulbs attached, remember it is a temporary condition. There are ways to avoid falling out of hair with white bulbs.
What Can You Do to Avoid Hair ( and those White Bulbs ) Falling Out?
- Download our free E-book: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT BLOCKING DHT. DHT is a hormone called Dihydrotestosterone and it’s responsible for kickstarting male pattern baldness. The good news is that this hormone can be removed from the scalp - you just need to know how! We list up the foods to eat and to avoid, shampoos and vitamins to use and the DIY exfoliating scrubs you can try at home.
- Choose a gentle sulphate and paraben free shampoo. Take a look at this video where we show you the most effective ingredients in shampoos that encourage healthy hair growth.
- Try a natural oil hair mask - massage it into the scalp. Scalp massage is a great way to boost circulation at the scalp and encourage hair growth. And don’t forget to dilute carrier oils such as pumpkin seed, oregano, and tea tree oil with coconut oil, avocado, or olive oil. Add these to natural conditioners and shampoos as well as hair gels and creams.
- Pack your diet with the best foods, drinks and snacks that speed up hair growth!
- Try It Really Works Vitamins, we provide the minerals and nutrients needed for noticeably shiny, thicker, healthier hair. Our high strength formulation of minerals and vitamins including Retinol, Biotin, Selenium, Zinc and Vitamins A, C, D, E and a Vitamin B Complex, enhance the strength of your hair and you are likely to notice that less hair falls out when it is brushed and washed.
We’ve got an extensive list in our E-Book These are, foods high in Lycopene including:
red bell peppers
White mushrooms: White mushrooms are high in zinc and pantothenic acid both of which help hair follicles remain healthy.
Snack on Pumpkin seeds. These contain a compound called Delta Seven Uterine which can help to prevent the buildup of dht in the hair follicles. 5 Say No to Stress
Relaxing helps to reduce Cortisol, the stress hormone.
And research shows that this hormone can sometimes cause hair to prematurely shift into the shedding phase.
To sum up! Hairs with White Bulbs at the ends are called Club Hairs The white bulb is made of keratin (protein) and this bulb is responsible for rooting the hair in the follicle until it sheds and the hair growth cycle re-starts. You’ll lose around 50-100 hairs per day.
To lower this number and to stop hair loss, it’s best to: Download our Free Ebook!
Choose a gentle shampoo Try a natural oil hair mask - Pack your diet with the best foods to boost hair growth. Refuse to let yourself get stressed.
And for the scientific lowdown on Telogen Effluvium - click here. See you soon guys!